Saturday, March 2, 2013

iPad Pilot Launch Day!


Okay team- Here I go.  I'm a blogger now!

I am truly excited to start this work with you all and I am thrilled about the team of people who have volunteered to launch this effort together.  Don't forget to think about who you can "pull in" as your silent partner.  The expectation would be to occasionally sit down with them and share some apps or lessons, help them learn to use the device and invite them to observe some classes.  Ideally, they will be an extra hand in the classroom as well so they can get some firsthand experience.

I was excited but a little overwhelmed by all the info.  I learn by seeing then doing and without the doing step, I am quite lost.  I will start slowly as Chris recommended.  I will ask you all for help as well!  As one of my first projects for my senior ELA class, I am thinking about creating a classroom wikispace (Chris did a webinar on this at SimpleK12) where we choose some important topics (maybe getting "college ready").  I'm still thinking about content and activities.

So- here's my first questions- choose 1 or 2 and post a quick response...

1) Now that it is set up, the very first thing I'm going to do with my iPad is...
2) In the classroom, I think I'll finally be able to....
3) I didn't realize...
4) I am pretty confused about...
5) Here's something I think you will want to know...

See you in the blogosphere!


5 comments:

  1. Hi Everyone! and thanks Alex for getting the ball rolling so quickly!

    Now that it is set up, the very first thing I'm going to do with my iPad is research geometry apps students can explore to deepen their understanding of the concepts they're learning this year.

    In the classroom, I think I will finally be able to integrate technology in a way that will teach students math concepts and technology skills!

    I've noticed that at times the iPad will not respond when I'm typing in an email and it has happened to me here... If anyone knows the cause please share!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Everyone, I really enjoyed the PD. Chris was great, we got I-pads, good food and of course great company. I learned a lot and spent much of last night downloading and trying out some of the apps he showed us. That free app app "apps gone free" is really nice. I found I few there that I saw before that I didn't want to shell the money out for, so really downloading and checking out these apps was first on my list.

    For class starters, I'm really going to take Chris's advice and start slow. On the first try I thought I'd have the class pair up with one I-Pad and just have them go on Safari and look something up or maybe go on regentsprep.org and practice regents questions. I really want to work on procedures, because worrying about missing or damaged I-pads is added stress I do not want. Since they are numbered I thought that I would assign them according to their number on my class roster and for groups I would assign teams to one I-pad.

    Are the Ipads numbered on the outside of the case and in the cart so that students can put them back in the right place and the teacher can see which ones have been returned ? Any thoughts on classroom procedures?

    Miriam, I'm really not sure; is your keyboard responding at all or is it just when your typing emails?



    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Everybody!
    Really enjoying this iPad initiative :) I just found an app that I wanted to share with you because it is free today. It's called " iTeacherBook " and usually costs 4.99. I haven't tried it yet but will do so soon - if it's not that good, we can just delete it and no worries.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went on Apps Gone Free today and downloaded a free app on Edgar Alan Poe that I really like. It does not apply to my content area, but it seems it would be great for an English class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for these suggestions Jimi and Jarrod. This exactly what I had in mind for our blog. Maybe we should start a new thread just for APP recommendations...I found one that is simple but helpful to me. It is a "to do" list maker: Paperless

    ReplyDelete